The fruit season is almost started!
If you want to volunteer to rescue fruit with us, you must have a membership with OFRE.
Perks of becoming a member:
- Participate in fruit rescue, donate fruit to food charities, and take home fresh picked, local fruit for your efforts
- Attend workshops on canning, cider making, etc.
- Work with various community organizations to help support the local food movement.
- Learn about your local fruit biodiversity, and what types grow in the greater Edmonton area. (you will be surprised with what grows here!)
- Attend and vote at our annual AGM.
To purchase a membership click on the appropriate link below:
**Low income (If the membership fee is more than you can afford, contact us by email and we can work towards a solution. email@example.com)
Each membership is valid from January 1st to December 31st.
*NOTE* To sign up as a FRUIT RESCUE VOLUNTEER, click on the link at the end of the PayPal payment that directs you back to the site, and WAIT for the form to load. Filling in this form will set you up to get email invites to fruit rescue events.
Annual General Meeting and Potluck!
Sign up to become a member today, and become a part of OFRE.
We hope that you will join us as we continue our adventure in 2016.
Join us at our AGM, and bring a dish to share:
April 16th, 2016
4:00pm – 7:00pm
McCauley School, 9538 107 Ave Edmonton
What does 2016 hold for OFRE?
As we come out of hibernation we are gearing up for 2016 and have some
amazing ideas for events that will build on our momentum from last
year and we need your help to make it happen!
To make our organization resilient to and sustainable over the long term we are
seeking volunteers to help our board members implement their ideas.
We are also seeking additional board members to guide the organization
into the future. Come join us at our AGM and find the hidden fruit in our city!
We are closing fruit registration and rescue for this year. Stay tuned for a report on how much fruit we rescued this summer.
Thanks to the great volunteers and all generous homeowners who shared their bounty. OFRE would not happen with out you!
Once again, the demand for fruit to be picked far exceeded our volunteer capacity. If you or someone you know has some time to give and a passion for local food, encourage them to join OFRE and become a fruit pick volunteer.
We are looking forward to more fruit rescue next year. Thank you all.
OFRE officially invites you to our spring planting and orchard clean-up. May 31st from 1-4pm.
Last year OFRE undertook the ambitious task of planting one of the first urban orchards on public property in Canada!
OFRE volunteers plant trees in the orchard behind McCauley School on Saturday Sept. 13, 2014. Photo by OFRE
It took a lot of effort, and we are thrilled to see the fruits of our labour this year. There are buds on several of the trees, and some even have flowers. As many of you know the FIFA world cup of soccer is coming to Edmonton this summer, and will be taking place at Commonwealth stadium, which is just down the street from the orchard. So this spring planting and clean up is vital to show the city and people from all over the world what citizens of Edmonton are capable of achieving when we get together and share in a vision of making our city a healthier, more fruitful place to live!
Light refreshments and snacks will be provided.
List of things to be done. This is an permaculture designed orchard. If you are new to any of these tasks, that’s ok. We are a educational organization and happy to teach and learn together!
- Move the remaining compost to desired locations around the orchard.
- Spread straw around the edgings
- planting the cover crop to fix nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil, increasing soil fertility
- Relocate 5 trees
- Plant additional fruit trees and shrubs
- (if material is provided in time (clad the shed/cider shack with corrugated metal)
What to bring:
- Dress for the weather – it’s a rain or shine event, unless it’s really awfully stormy. Clothes you can get dirty in, and approriate footwear
- Bring your own reusable water vessel
- Work gloves
- Tools if you have them – shovels, pitch forks, wheelbarrow
Posted in news
Tagged 2015, event, fruit, gardening, May, May 31, OFRE, planting, planting party, public, public orchard, urban orchard