OFRE officially invites you to our spring planting and orchard clean-up. May 31st from 1-4pm.
Last year OFRE undertook the ambitious task of planting one of the first urban orchards on public property in Canada!
It took a lot of effort, and we are thrilled to see the fruits of our labour this year. There are buds on several of the trees, and some even have flowers. As many of you know the FIFA world cup of soccer is coming to Edmonton this summer, and will be taking place at Commonwealth stadium, which is just down the street from the orchard. So this spring planting and clean up is vital to show the city and people from all over the world what citizens of Edmonton are capable of achieving when we get together and share in a vision of making our city a healthier, more fruitful place to live!
Light refreshments and snacks will be provided.
List of things to be done. This is an permaculture designed orchard. If you are new to any of these tasks, that’s ok. We are a educational organization and happy to teach and learn together!
- Move the remaining compost to desired locations around the orchard.
- Spread straw around the edgings
- planting the cover crop to fix nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil, increasing soil fertility
- Relocate 5 trees
- Plant additional fruit trees and shrubs
- (if material is provided in time (clad the shed/cider shack with corrugated metal)
What to bring:
- Dress for the weather – it’s a rain or shine event, unless it’s really awfully stormy. Clothes you can get dirty in, and appropriate footwear
- Bring your own reusable water vessel
- Work gloves
- Tools if you have them – shovels, pitch forks, wheelbarrow